Dating your ex once again can be a very strong temptation, especially if you never really got over him or her. Once you have feelings for someone, they almost never completely go away, no matter how bad the break up may have been. Sometimes past relationships can feel like a book that is not quite finished…no matter how much we need to, we just cannot put it down.
Maybe you’ve just had a wonderful conversation with your ex which brought back a flood of warm and fuzzy feelings. Perhaps those feelings have made you forget why you broke up to begin with. So what should you do when you find yourself considering whether or not to date your ex all over again? Is this a case of time healing all wounds, or are you doomed to repeat your past because you have forgotten it? Here are a few tips to help you start over, and perhaps make the second dance even better than the first.
1. Take it Slow – If this were someone you did not know, you would take things very slowly, and get to know the person before becoming serious. You should do the same thing with your ex. If you have been broken up for a significant amount of time, he or she has probably undergone a few changes. ( If the breakup was very recent, then you are simply making up, and not truly dating an ex.) It is possible that both of you have dated other people, and may have feelings for someone else. Your ex may come back to you only temporarily, and then end up with someone else. Take time to get to know them again, and don’t jump right back into the fire.
2. Have Reasonable Expectations When Dating An Ex – Although your ex may have gone through many changes since you were together, it is unlikely that the things which you did not like about them have changed very much. If you simply could not live with his or her bad habits before, don’t get your hopes up that those habits are gone. Your expectations of the relationship should be clear, and reasonable. Discuss with each other what you expect, and be honest. Do not push him or her to make promises that they are unlikely to keep.
3. Do Not Live in the Past – Although those good memories can bring back warm and fuzzy feelings, you cannot live there. On the same note, the problems of the past have to be forgotten as well if you hope to succeed in a second time around. Do not base your entire decision to date your ex on those good feelings which you feel when you see them, or talk to them again. Be realistic and remember that it was not all good. On the other hand, you have to drop the issues from the past. If one of you cheated, or example, you cannot get back together unless the other can honestly trust again. If the one who was cheated on cannot move forward without the constant fear that it is happening again, then dating again is a bad idea. A good rule of thumb in any relationship is this; If the good outweighs the bad, then it stay. If the bad outweighs the good, then go.
4. Communicate – You’ve seen the scenes in the movies. A former couple meets, and instant chemistry. Suddenly, all of the past is forgotten and they are all over each other. Clothes fall off, fires ignite, and passion soars. Then comes the morning. What now? All too often, if this couple gets back together, it will never work. Why? Because they have had no real communication. One night of passion does not erase the mistakes of the past. It is vital to communicate what you want from the relationship, what you would like to be different, and whether or not you can meet your partner’s expectations.
5. Be the Change You Want to See – You cannot expect your ex to make all of the changes to make this second time around work. It is vital that you are willing to look inside yourself and make the changes that you need to make as well. This is the principle behind the magic of making up system that I recommend to my clients, and why it is so effective at reuniting couples. Did your bad habits contribute to the break-up? Did you nag too much, or stay out all the time and leave your ex at home? Were you selfish? Needy? Did you push your ex away? Only if you take an honest inventory of yourself and your own bad habit can you expect your ex to do the same. If you are not willing to make some changes yourself, then it is better to go your separate ways.
6. Invest in your relationship – The simple fact is most of us are not prepared, and do not have the skills required to reunite with our ex. The pressure, doubt, and emotional intensity causes us to make terrible, on the spot, decisions that can permanently damage any chance we may have with our ex. You need a plan…
If you are serious about maximizing your chances of getting back with your ex for good, you need to study the magic of making up. This system covers every detail of how to get your ex back from the first phone call to the final date. My personal successes and those of my clients have earned this system the top spot as my most recommend relationship repair guide.
It is essential that before you initiate any communication with your ex that you read my detailed review of this system in order to get an understanding of what works – and more importantly what doesn’t!
Latest posts by Nathan Joseph (see all)
- 8 Ways to Convince Your Ex to Come Back To You - February 13, 2014
- How To Get (and Keep) A Boyfriend: The 4 Absolutely Essential Traits - January 23, 2014
- Making Your Move On A Girl: 3 Unstoppable Techniques - January 23, 2014